Tuesday's Tips provide brief how-to's to help you learn to use the Legacy Family Tree software with new tricks and techniques.
How to make a suggestion
We are always looking for ways to improve Legacy Family Tree both by tweaking what is already there and by adding new features that the customers want. We have a system in place to handle the suggestions that come in but before you send us your ideas here are some things you need to know.
1) Make sure that what you are wanting to do isn't already available in Legacy. Many of the suggestions Sherry gets are from people that don't realize that what they want is already there. By the way, Sherry is the tech that handles all of the incoming suggestions.
2) The programmers see every suggestion that is sent in and they consider them all but be aware that some things are just not possible programming-wise or they are not feasible for some other reason.
3) New features aren't normally implemented until there is a new version of Legacy. Updates to the current version will be for bug fixes and MINOR enhancements only.
4) If you want to send us a suggestion it is important you send it to us the right way so that it gets logged into our tracking system. You can do this right through the program. On the Legacy Home tab over on the right under the Support heading you will see the link to Make a Suggestion. You can also do it from within the program by clicking the HELP tab on the main ribbon and then select Request a Feature. You can also access the form directly here http://www.legacyfamilytree.com/Suggest.asp
5) Did you know that even the staff and beta testers send in their suggestions using this form? It is very important to get the suggestions into the tracking system. Sherry keeps everything organized making it easy for the programmers to see what is there.
6) Posting your suggestions here or on the Legacy User's Group email list or sending them into the main support queue (firstname.lastname@example.org) will only get you a link to the support form so that you can submit it the right way.
7) If you have a screenshot or some sort of file that will make your request more understandable please let Sherry know. You can't attach files to the suggestion form itself but if you tell Sherry you have a screenshot that explains what you are asking for she will email you back and you will be able to attach the screenshot to that email.
Find tech tips every day in the Facebook Legacy User Group. The group is free and is available to anyone with a Facebook account.
For video tech tips checkout the Legacy Quick Tips page. These short videos will make it easy for you to learn all sort of fun and interesting ways to look at your genealogy research.
Michele Simmons Lewis is part of the technical support team at Millennia, the makers of the Legacy Family Tree software program. With over 20 years of research experience, Michele’s passion is helping new genealogists get started on the right foot through her writings, classes and lectures. She is the former staff genealogist and weekly columnist for the McDuffie Mirror and now authors Ancestoring, a blog geared toward the beginner/intermediate researcher.