My wife is also my 13th cousin.
In the late 1500s we share a common ancestor, Stephen HOPKINS. We've always known about our closest relationship of "husband-wife" but it wasn't until after we were married that we discovered that we were related by blood.
We did not discover this on our own - Legacy Family Tree found the relationship for us. Legacy will calculate the relationship of everyone in your family file in relation to you. To do this, follow these simple steps:
- In the Family View, navigate to yourself, or the person to whom you want to calculate all the relationships.
- Click on the Tools menu, then click Set Relationships.
- Click on the Set Relationships button.
Pretty quickly, Legacy calculates all the relationships. The actual relationship appears above the husband/wife in the Family View.
Legacy will create a few different types of relationship reports:
- Relationship Report: Reports icon > Books/Other tab > Relationships button.
- Custom relationship report - click here.
- Relationship Chart: Tools > Relationship Calculator - select the two individuals and click Print.
The third report (described above) allows you to print multiple relationships in the same report. After clicking on the Print button, select the option to Print all the relationships. This will create separate charts, showing the descent from the common ancestor. These charts can include pictures and other customizable options.
For more on relationships, read How is my Father's Brother's Son's Daughter Related to Me?